Start Backdating of housing benefit

Backdating of housing benefit

We may ask you to provide extra information about your reasons for not claiming sooner.

Check your state pension age to check the date you may be entitled to start receiving Pension Credit.

Please note that if you or your partner have reached the State Pension Credit qualifying age but either of you receives Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit we treat you as working age, not pension age.

If you have not yet applied for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support you can request backdating your benefits on the application form by telling us why you have delayed making a claim.

If you are already receiving benefits, you will need to write to us to request backdating your benefits.

Please detail your name, address, reference number, the date you would like to claim from and your reason for requesting the backdate at this stage.

You should apply for housing benefit and / or council tax support as soon as you can.

The age for State Pension Credit is increasing from 60 to 66.

Check your qualifying age for State Pension Credit on GOV.

If you’re under pension age, you must write to us if you want your claim to be backdated.

We can sometimes backdate your claim for up to one month from the date we receive your written request for backdating if there’s a good reason why you didn't claim earlier.

The longest time we can backdate your claim is one month if you don't qualify for state pension credit.