Start Miltary dating

Miltary dating

This was not a purpose-built citadel but was instead a reinforced adaptation of an existing basement built many years before.

Its brutal functionality speaks of a very practical purpose; in the event of a German invasion, it was intended that the building would become a fortress, with loopholed firing positions provided to fend off attackers.

In 1992 the Admiralty communications centre was established here as the stone frigate HMS St Vincent, which became MARCOMM COMCEN (St Vincent) in 1998.

The Admiralty Citadel, London's most visible military citadel, is located just behind the Admiralty building on Horse Guards Parade.

It was constructed in 1940–1941 as a bomb-proof operations centre for the Admiralty, with foundations 30 ft (9.1 m) deep and a 20-foot (6.1 m) thick concrete roof.

The project was known as 'Post Office scheme 2845'.

A detailed description, with photographs, was published just after the war in the January 1946 edition of The Post Office Electrical Engineers' Journal.

Computer equipment was much more expensive to install than originally estimated as there was very little physical access to the site.

Pindar's main function is to be a crisis management and communications centre, principally between the MOD headquarters and the actual centre of military operations, the Permanent Joint Headquarters in Northwood.

Photographs taken of the facility in 2008 show that it has stores including toothpaste, toothbrushes, and mouthwashes.

It has bunks for up to 100 military officers, politicians and civilians as well as communication facilities, a medical centre and maps.

The Map Room is located nearby, from where the course of the war was directed.